Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Pallone & Doyle on FCC Sinclair Merger Order

Jul 16, 2018
Press Release
The Top House Democrats Have Been Key Critics of the Proposed Merger’s Impact on Media Diversity

Energy and Commerce Ranking Member Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) and Subcommittee on Communications and Technology Ranking Member Mike Doyle (D-PA) released the following statements today after Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai said he had “serious concerns” about Sinclair Broadcast Group’s proposed acquisition of Tribune Media.

“The FCC’s order could effectively block the Sinclair merger, which would be a huge win for consumers,” Pallone said. “I urge all FCC Commissioners to vote quickly in support of it. Last week, Ranking Member Doyle and I sent a letter to GAO urging a review of Sinclair’s use of sham agreements to bypass federal media consolidation protections, and I was pleased to see Chairman Pai echo our concerns in his announcement today.”     

“This is a welcome and long overdue development,” Doyle said. “As I have said many times, Sinclair’s proposed merger would hurt consumers, competition, and the vibrancy and independence of the our nation’s local media. This transaction has been opposed by a diverse coalition of interests from all sides of the political spectrum. I’m glad to see the Commission acknowledging these concerns.”

Last week, Pallone and Doyle urged the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to review the type of agreements Sinclair has used to circumvent federal media consolidation protections. Chairman Pai cited similar concerns in his decision today to halt the proposed merger from going forward.  

###